INTERVIEW with: KeKe Palmer

By Premier on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 with 0 comments

Photobucket

INTERVIEW COURTESY OF CLUTCH MAGAZINE


Her upcoming releases include the 2009 Lionsgate drama “Shrink”, in which she is cast alongside Kevin Spacey and Robin Williams, and her own television show on Nickelodeon, “True Jackson VP”, in which she plays a pubescent burgeoning fashion mogul. Right before stepping on the set for her show, Keke chatted with Clutch about life, her career, and dating in Hollywood (hint: Momma Palmer isn’t having any of it).

Clutch: Keke, what’s going on?
Keke: Nothing much. I’m on the set for my new TV show on Nickelodeon called True Jackson VP.

Clutch: How long have you filming for that?
Keke: Um, this is the first episode after the pilot.

Clutch: How is the television industry different from movies, or is it different for you?
Keke: It is different, probably because the show is in California, where I live. It’s a lot more stable for me. I know what I will be doing and when I will be doing it. It’s much easier than movies because there is more structure in doing television. It’s not as organized doing movies.

Clutch: Where are you originally from, Keke?
Keke: I am from Chicago, the suburbs outside of Chicago called Robbins. It’s down past the Southside.

Clutch: How did you get started in the business?
Keke: When I was nine, my parents took me to an audition just from reading it in the newspapers, for the role of Nala in The Lion King off Broadway. I went down to the top 15, and then I was out. I was upset, but at the same time I was like this was cool and I want to try it again. My parents saw that, and said “We can put you in it and if you really like it, maybe you can do it.” I said, “I wanna do it, I wanna do it!” So they got me an agent and I got my first audition, which was Barbershop 2, playing Queen Latifah’s niece and . . . I got the part.

Clutch: [As an actor] Do you find yourself missing the typical things that a teenager enjoys, or is that something that you’re taking in stride?
Keke: Sometimes I do miss it, but most of the time I’m like “Hey, I’m doing so many good things and securing my future and having fun right now.” Hopefully, I can have a normal senior year, like a regular 18 year old. But if that doesn’t happen I think that I will be all right because I’m doing a lot of great stuff right now.

Clutch: Do you engage in typical adolescent activities of teenagers?
Keke: I go to movies and hang out with friends, hit up amusement parks, kick it at my house. Things like that.

Clutch: Do you plan on attending college?
Keke: Of course. I want to attend Howard University.

Clutch: Who is your support system?
Keke: Definitely my family and friends.

Clutch: Do you have any big brothers in the industry who look out for you?
Keke: A lot of people [in the industry] say they’re my big brothers, but we don’t really talk that much. Just mainly my family.


To continue reading this interview click the Title above !

Category: Black Celebs , KeKe Palmer